Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Week 7: Video 101

Photography> Video> Composition

Professional Video Composition

With this post I'm exceeding the scope of the usual photography blog. This is for two reasons: 

  • I'll need to create both photo and video assets in any instructional design position. I'm anxious to become familiar with professional standards and current practices
  • My experience in this area has been limited. Practicing the skills I've recorded in this blog will increase my ability to serve as an instructional designer. 
According to my favorite sources, the basics of professional video start with three-point lighting


Three-point Lighting for Video

The three lights include 

  • key light: The strongest light on the subject, or the primary light. The key and the fill light are usually the same power lights, but the key is closer to the subject. The key should be set at a 45 degree angle from the camera. This allows the light to wrap around the face to create depth as opposed to a "flat" look when the light is directly in front of the subject.
  • fill light: Fills in any shadows left by the key
  • rim light: This creates a rim of light on the subject's head and shoulders to distinguish them from the background, and provide visual depth to the shot. Be careful not to aim the light directly into the camera.
Check out my video lighting learning activity.







No comments:

Post a Comment